Know Sodium, Avoid Disease!!
Sodium is a mineral that essential to body to balance the body's water. If it is over, it will affect to health.
According to the Thai Food Consumption Survey, surveys Thai health by physical examination #4 in 2008-2009 with 2,696 people and age over 1 year old, Thai people consume more sodium from food, especially on 19-59 years old consumes sodium 2,961.9-3,366.8 mg per day.
In general, the body needs sodium about 1,500 mg per day, but we will consume more sodium in dairy lives. The maximum amount of sodium is not more than 2,000 mg per day or a teaspoon of salt. If you get too much sodium, it will cause many diseases such as high blood pressure, kidney disease, heart disease, stroke, etc.
People often consume unknowingly more sodium because it is not salty. Sodium is abundant in condiments, seasoning, soup, baking soda, preservatives, and beverages.
In addition, there was study the relationship between sodium intake and the risk of overweight in 5,955 people found that people who consumes more sodium, they will have a chance to be overweight. Also, men will have higher risk than women, because they consume more sodium food.
--> 6 Simple ways to avoid too much sodium.
1. Avoid flavor enhancer and seasoning - even they have less sodium than salt, but seasoning is not salty. People will put it too much when cooking because they believe that the taste will better. If you take care of health, you should avoid flavor enhancer when cooking.
2. Avoid strong-flavored food - because strong-flavors food with salty, sour, spicy, sweet need to incease more flavor. If you really like extreme food, you will gradually decrease it.
3. Eat fresh food - avoid food with preservative.
4. Avoid to eat soup or eat less - because soup contains high sodium from seasoning or soup cube.
5. Notice amount of sodium from nutrition information - for main meal, sodium amount should not exceed 600 mg per day, and snack should not exceed 200 mg per day.
6. Use salt subtitute - do not rely on sodium free because salt subtitute also have 50% of sodium.
Source : http://www.thaihealth.or.th/Content/31206-รู้ทัน%20"โซเดียม"%20เลี่ยงโรค.html